Friday, July 17, 2009

Fake Eyelashes

I’m planning to do my own makeup, and I want it to look fairly natural, but I’ve always wanted to try wearing false eyelashes, especially after seeing some of my friends with them on. Out of all of my facial features, I want to play up my eyes the most, and as eyelash extensions are definitely out of my price range, I decided to give false ones a shot.First step was purchasing some. I headed to Long’s Drugs on a week when Ardell lashes were on sale and then spent some time brooding in front of the display case, trying to choose a pair. I picked up one that didn’t look too thick and unnatural, put it in my bathroom with my makeup, and forgot about it. When I finally did get a chance to try them, they looked odd — too straight across and even. Perhaps it was also because I had never applied eyelashes before, but whatever the reason for the awkwardness of the results, I decided straight off that I couldn’t use them for the wedding. (No pics. Too horrible. Plus I forgot to take any.)

Ardell lashes, below.

So, I continued the search and found two brands that seemed different than the others: Sonia Kashuk, from Target, and Japonesque, which I discovered during a Christmas shopping trip to the Beauty Source. For my eyes, which have small, straight Asian lashes, these seemed like they would seem more natural because of the way they crisscross; it helps them to blend much better with my own lashes and seem less like a strip of evenly-spaced little hairs.

Japonesque lashes, in their case, below. Sonia Kashuk’s lashes look very similar to this and are available plain or with (kind of Halloween-y) crystals.

I tried the Japonesque lashes the other night, as well as some of my other makeup I’m planning to use for the wedding, just to get a feel for what the whole package will look like. Though I did not apply anything with a heavy hand and didn’t spend a lot of time to make it perfect, I felt it was a good try overall. A few more “trials” and I think I’ll be set…

My eyes beforehand. Me = tired.

After, with makeup. What a difference! I am so not used to having lashes. Also, I am so not used to taking pictures of myself…

This concluded my second attempt at applying lashes. Overall, so far, so good, I’d say, and I’m sure I’ll get a little better at it as I repeat my efforts. So, the big question: should I use them for the wedding? Who else in the hive is thinking of using them? :)

0 comments: